2) I wish to ask a favor of a sort I am generally loathe to ask of readers. Last night, just before bed, I caught sight of the fifty-eighth "review" of The Red Tree on Amazon.com. It's a real winner:
The Red Tree has a horrible ending. It is a fair read until the end. Then it is like she just threw in an ending. She totally lost me at the end.
As kids these days are wont to say, o.O . Did I do that right? I feel as though I missed some inflection. Anyway, afterwards I lay in bed, imagining myself reaching into a big bucket labeled "ENDINGS," grabbing one at random, and carelessly slinging it towards the manuscript. The favor that I wish to ask is simply that if you read the book and enjoyed it, please take a moment to say so on Amazon, to help counteract some of the stupid. Obviously, these comments don't have to be more than a few sentences long. I will be very grateful. Thank you.
3) I ought to be going to a matinée of True Grit today. But it's cold as fuck (30F, windchill 19...which I'll note is a vast fucking improvement over yesterday), the roads are still icy, and I have too much to write that I've not written. Maybe next Tuesday (because Tuesdays are the discount matinée days).
4) Not much to yesterday. I sat here all day. I wrote a single paragraph on a story for Sirenia #61. It may or may not be usable. I may or may not be writing a vignette titled "Pixie-Led." But I need to figure it all out today. The month isn't getting any younger. The year is wasting away.
5) I have begun to notice a disquieting phenomenon. Recently, on two occasions, I've found short stories by other authors with titles clearly, unmistakably, taken from this blog. Now, generally speaking, you can't copyright titles, and if someone finds an inspiring title in some stray comment here, fine. One of the stories was like that. But the other, well, it's essentially the title of a story I've repeatedly referred to here, a story I've been trying to write for a couple of years, but which remains shelved. I know the author in question reads the blog. This is called plagiarism. I won't name names, and maybe it was even an unconscious plagiarism. But it certainly isn't mere coincidence. So, pretty please, don't rip off my titles. Thank you.
6) Spooky ventured out into the snow yesterday. I didn't. She didn't make it very far. The sidewalks were glacial slicks, and the wind was brutal. But she took a few photos, behind the cut below. Also, I've added a sunset photo to yesterday's entry.
7) Last night, there was some good rp in Insilico with Molly and Grendel. And a little WoW. And soup and grilled cheeses. Two episodes from the most recent season of No Reservations. And we read more of blackholly's Valiant. I think I have a crush on Ravus. I always fall for the beasts. By the way, if you want stellar examples of shitwit Amazon "reviews," have a look at some of those posted for Valiant.
Yours in Haste,
All photographs Copyright © 2010 by Kathryn A. Pollnac