Bus and Trains (118)
A cloudy, damp day. There was a brilliant red sunrise and little sunlight here and there, but not much. The high was 65˚F.
Five and a half hours of work on MP2. Tomorrow will be the last day that I work on the text, save requested revisions from reviewers. Today I rewrote the section of on the dentigerous bones of one of the two specimens, expanding it quite a bit. Mosasaurs have seven bone-bearing teeth, by the way - the premaxilla, two maxillae, two dentaries, and the paired pterygoids.
I took a break and watched two documentaries, the first on Christopher McCandless and the other of children and teenagers who became hobos in the 1930s.
Last night Kathryn and I saw a very excellent film, Sean Ellis' The Curse (2022). I knew Eliss via an earlier film, the WWII drama Anthropoid (2016), but I only realized after seeing The Curse that they shared the same director. Anyway, yes, if you can overlook a dogged reluctance to obey the order of certain historical events, I think you will be pleased. This is a different sort of werewolf story, very much the way The Red Tree was. The cinematography manages to catch the ominous and the eerie in the simplest shots of fields and forests and streams, in this film that understands the importance of silence and atmosphere to effective weird fiction. Some great creature design/effects.
Having completed The Call of Cthulhu, today I moved on to "The Colour Out of Space."
On Twitter, I wrote: I am cursed, apparently, w/projecting an air of indomitable self confidence, entirely at odds w/my actual nature. Every short story, novella, and novel is a war w/self doubt, and this paper I am trying to finish, it's many times worse.
Oh, and my copy of the World Fantasy 2022 souvenir book was waiting at the P.O., which only made me feel awful all over again about not making the convention.
Later Tater Beans,
Aunt Beast

1:35 p.m.
Five and a half hours of work on MP2. Tomorrow will be the last day that I work on the text, save requested revisions from reviewers. Today I rewrote the section of on the dentigerous bones of one of the two specimens, expanding it quite a bit. Mosasaurs have seven bone-bearing teeth, by the way - the premaxilla, two maxillae, two dentaries, and the paired pterygoids.
I took a break and watched two documentaries, the first on Christopher McCandless and the other of children and teenagers who became hobos in the 1930s.
Last night Kathryn and I saw a very excellent film, Sean Ellis' The Curse (2022). I knew Eliss via an earlier film, the WWII drama Anthropoid (2016), but I only realized after seeing The Curse that they shared the same director. Anyway, yes, if you can overlook a dogged reluctance to obey the order of certain historical events, I think you will be pleased. This is a different sort of werewolf story, very much the way The Red Tree was. The cinematography manages to catch the ominous and the eerie in the simplest shots of fields and forests and streams, in this film that understands the importance of silence and atmosphere to effective weird fiction. Some great creature design/effects.
Having completed The Call of Cthulhu, today I moved on to "The Colour Out of Space."
On Twitter, I wrote: I am cursed, apparently, w/projecting an air of indomitable self confidence, entirely at odds w/my actual nature. Every short story, novella, and novel is a war w/self doubt, and this paper I am trying to finish, it's many times worse.
Oh, and my copy of the World Fantasy 2022 souvenir book was waiting at the P.O., which only made me feel awful all over again about not making the convention.
Later Tater Beans,
Aunt Beast

1:35 p.m.