1. If you were to die this evening with no opportunity to communicate with anyone, what would you most regret not having told someone? If I were to tell you what that is, wouldn't I sort of negate this question?
2. If a new medicine were developed that would cure arthritis but cause a fatal reaction in 1 percent of those who took it, would you want it to be released to the public? And it would cure 99% of those who took it? Yes. Absolutely.
3. If you were able to live to the age of 90 and retain either the body or the mind of a 30-year-old for the last 60 years of your life, which would you want? Body, without a doubt.
4. If at birth you could select the profession your child would eventually pursue, would you do so? No. I'll leave horrendous violations of freewill to...never mind.
5. If you knew there would be a nuclear war in one week, what would do? (you can't stop it): Try to reach Antarctica, because, even though I'd still die, I could at least tell myself, at the end, that I'd seen Antarctica.
6. Would you accept twenty years of extraordinary happiness and fulfillment if it meant you had to die at the end of the period? Hmmmm. Possibly.
7. If the person you were engaged to marry had an accident and became a paraplegic, would you go through with the marriage or back out of it? I like to believe that I'd go through with it, but this is the sort of thing none of us knows until we actually find ourselves in such a situation.
8. Someone very close to you is in pain, paralyzed, and will die in a month. They beg you to give them poison so they that they can die. Would you? Without so much as a second thought..
9. Given the choice of anyone in the world, who would you want as your dinner guest? as a close friend? as a lover? Well, as for lovers, I'm doing pretty good. Dinner guest? I hate eating in front of people. No, really. It's almost a phobia. Close friend? Well, someone who isn't really just another asshole underneath all that skin.
10. What is the worst psychological torture you can imagine suffering? (it cannot involve any physical harm to you)? That looks like a really easy question, until you try to answer it.
11. You and a person you love deeply are placed in separate rooms with a button next to each of you. You know that you will both be killed unless one of you presses the button before 60 minutes pass; furthermore, the first to press the button will save the other person, but will immediately be killed. What do you think you would do? Press the frelling button.
12. Would you be willing to go to a slaughter house and kill a cow? I think "slaughterhouse" is one word, and if it's not, it ought to be. Anyway, I've killed my own meat many times.
13. For $20,000 would you go for 3 months without washing, brushing your teeth, and using deodorant? Assume you could not explain your reasons to anyone, and there would be no long-term effect on your career. (you are not choosing one, you would have to go without all three). Yep. The only hard part would be not brushing my teeth.
14. Which of these restrictions could you best tolerate: leaving the country permanently or never leaving the state in which you now live? Never leaving the state where I now live. That's the easiest of these questions so far.
15. If you could choose the sex and physical appearance of your soon-to-be-born child, would you do it? It's irrelvant, as I will never have a child.
16. Would you be willing to decrease your life expectancy by 5 years if you could become extremely attractive? Absolutely.
17. If your friends and acquaintances were willing to bluntly tell you what they really think of you, would you want them to? No.
18. Would it disturb you much if, upon your death, your body were simply thrown into the woods and left to rot? That would be one of my preferred means of post-mortem disposal, actually. The forest or the sea.
19. Would you like to know the precise date of your death? Yep. Then I could make plans.
20. Would you be willing to give up all television for the next 5 years if it would induce for someone to provide for 1,000 starving children in Indonesia? Um, I don't answer grammatically incorrect questions. Sheesh.