Listens: blah blah blah

Alone in a Crowd

Mostly cloudy today. Chilly. Our high was a measly 53˚F.

It was a very bad day, which I had halfway expected. I was very up on Thursday, and an up day usually means the next day will be rough. But there were also external influences that worked to ruin the day, so the blame cannot all be placed on my malfunctioning brain.

No, I did not work. I did write a couple of emails, that did nothing to improve my mood. I did that. I also wrote an email to Mike P., asking about someone who can test sediment samples from the Yale specimen for me, looking for calcareous nannoplankton and foraminifera, to date the specimen, as the locality information is very vague. It'll likely cost me two or three hundred dollars, paying a specialist, but it needs to be done.

Today was the 32nd anniversary of the premiere of Twin Peaks.

But, other than that, yeah, a shit day.

Partly (but only partly), because today the Great State of Alabama did exactly what I expected, and Governor Kay Ivey signed House Bill 322 and Senate Bill 184 into law. Those numbers stand for the appallingly misleadingly named "Vulnerable Child Compassion and Protection Act." It would be funny...if it were. The law makes it a felony for physicians to assist minors in the gender transition. There's a series of stunning quotes by Ivey:

“I believe very strongly that if the good God made you a boy, you are a boy, and if he made you a girl, you are a girl. We especially need to protect our children from these radical, life-changing drugs and surgeries when they are in such a vulnerable stage of life. Instead, let’s focus on helping them develop properly into the adults God intended them to be.” Oh, and I love this one: “Here in Alabama, the men use the men’s room and the women use the women’s room – it’s really a no-brainer.” Of course, it might not be a "no-brainer" if Alabama didn't rank 49th (only New Mexico is worse) in pre-K through 12th grade education.

On Twitter I said:

As someone who dealt with trans health issues/transitioning in Ala. from 1990-1994, well, welcome to the past. Only, it's actually *worse* now. We were essentially invisible and took less shit back then.

~ and ~

Mostly, please do not be surprised that a Republican governor in the state of Alabama would sign into law anti-trans legislation. Naiveté helps no one.

I think that's all I have tonight. may you rot down there in the Hell in which you believe so fervently, Kay Ivey.

Later Tater Beans.
Aunt Beast




4:46 p.m.