Listens: NIN, "The Becoming"

"...scraping through my head 'til I don't want to sleep anymore."

Sunny today, and very much needed the sun. Our high was 53˚F, and it is now 51˚F.

Work on the story today, but this one is fighting back. It still has no title. I'm going to get up at 7 a.m. tomorrow and try to make some serious progress while Spooky's still asleep.

Subterranean is now shipping Vile Affections/Cambrian Tales, so, if you preordered, Happy Cephalopodmas (which is today).

Today's film was Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008). I actually adore about the first third of this film, until Indy and Mutt take off for Peru. I am baffled as to why it was set in 1957, so long after the events of Last Crusade, which occurred in 1935. Yeah, on the one hand, I get the Cold War angle, but it's such a huge just forward, and if they wanted to use the whole Roswell thing, they could have set it as far back as 1947 or 1948. But yeah, the fifties stuff works. Even Shia LaBeouf mostly works. But when the film gets to the jungle, everything starts to fall apart. There's too much cartoonish violence, too much CGI that has not aged well. The thing where Mutt swings through the trees with the monkeys, it's so much more awful than the stunt at the beginning with the refrigerator, though people tend to pick on the latter. It's the tone that's off. This film is camp, and Indiana Jones films can be pulp, but not camp, and yes, those are different things. Oh, and of course the silly CGI interdimensional aliens. Whatever. And yet, I still rank this a decent film, though it lags well behind The Last Crusade. There's a lot of good stuff, but hubris and camp pulls it down.

Later Tater Beans,
Aunt Beast




5:47 p.m.