Howard Hughes Goes Left
Sunny and hot today. We made it to 90˚F or thereabouts. Right now, it's 88˚F, with the heat index at 82˚F.
The momentous part of today was leaving the house and, for the first time in almost a year, going east instead of west. See, you leaving our drive, you can turn southeast or northeast (to be more precise). And today I needed something from Office Depot in Irondale, and rather than just send Kathryn, I had her drive me. Oh, and we stopped at the bank (drive though) on the way there and the p.o. on the way home. It was truly surreal. As the crow flies, I only went 3.54 miles east, but....you know, this is just pathetic. But, still. I did it. And I was in the store at least fifteen minutes before my anxiety got so bad we had to leave. Baby steps. Kathryn and I masked. I saw only two other people with masks (both employees).
All of the work part of today consisted of reading and re-reading papers on mosasaur anatomy and ontogeny, preparing for a Zoom meeting on Wednesday. Oh, wait. I also emailed Bill Schafer at Subterranean Press about the cover for the new edition of From Weird and Distant Shores; he'd sent me mock-ups yesterday. It's gonna be a nice cover. And I also had to send a long overdue contract back to Steve Jones; he reprinted "Virginia Story" in Year's Best Horror #30, and my forgetful ass still had not returned the contract.
Toady's comfort movie was Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim (2013), which I love as much as the first time I saw it eight years ago.
Oh, that Late Pleistocene mole humerus I mentioned yesterday? See the photo below. Nifty, ain't it?
Later,
Aunt Beast

6:26 p.m.
The momentous part of today was leaving the house and, for the first time in almost a year, going east instead of west. See, you leaving our drive, you can turn southeast or northeast (to be more precise). And today I needed something from Office Depot in Irondale, and rather than just send Kathryn, I had her drive me. Oh, and we stopped at the bank (drive though) on the way there and the p.o. on the way home. It was truly surreal. As the crow flies, I only went 3.54 miles east, but....you know, this is just pathetic. But, still. I did it. And I was in the store at least fifteen minutes before my anxiety got so bad we had to leave. Baby steps. Kathryn and I masked. I saw only two other people with masks (both employees).
All of the work part of today consisted of reading and re-reading papers on mosasaur anatomy and ontogeny, preparing for a Zoom meeting on Wednesday. Oh, wait. I also emailed Bill Schafer at Subterranean Press about the cover for the new edition of From Weird and Distant Shores; he'd sent me mock-ups yesterday. It's gonna be a nice cover. And I also had to send a long overdue contract back to Steve Jones; he reprinted "Virginia Story" in Year's Best Horror #30, and my forgetful ass still had not returned the contract.
Toady's comfort movie was Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim (2013), which I love as much as the first time I saw it eight years ago.
Oh, that Late Pleistocene mole humerus I mentioned yesterday? See the photo below. Nifty, ain't it?
Later,
Aunt Beast

6:26 p.m.