I really don't have much to say this morning – er, afternoon. We played Guild Wars 2 all night, leveling our new Asura. At midnight, we were killing giant mosquitoes in Metrica Province. Neither of us had alcohol.
There was about an hour of panic yesterday when we thought we'd lost my passport. We went to the pharmacy and the bank. We had spaghetti for dinner. I took more Vicodin than I should have. What was the first song I played in 2016? Neko Case's "Nothing to Remember," followed by the Decemberists' Hazards of Love. I fell asleep to Otto Preminger's Laura (1944).
Here's my "Favorite Movies of 2015" list, which I posted last night, but thought perhaps I should post again. The list is unranked:
01. Ex Machina (Dir. Alex Garland)
02. The Hateful Eight (Dir. Quentin Tarantino)
03. Mr. Holmes (Dir. Bill Condon)
04. The Danish Girl (Dir. Tom Hooper)
05. Trumbo (Dir. Jay Roach)
06. Crimson Peak (Dir. Guillermo del Toro)
07. The Revenant (Dir. Alejandro G. Iñárritu)
08. It Follows (Dir. David Robert Mitchell)
09. Clouds of Sils Maria (Dir. Olivier Assayas)
10. The End of the Tour (Dir. James Ponsoldt)
11. Love and Mercy (Dir. Bill Pohlad)
12. Predestination (Dir. Michael and Peter Spierig)
13. Maps to the Stars (Dir. David Cronenberg)
14. Joy (Dir. David O. Russell)
15. The Martian (Dir. Ridley Scott)
16. Mad Max: Fury Road (Dir. George Miller)*
17. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Dir. J. J. Abrams)
18. Bone Tomahawk (Dir. S. Craig Zahler)
* Never before have I so hated a film the first time I saw and then completely reversed my opinion on the second viewing.
These are eighteen films I say you need to see, people. Note, to appear on this list, a film had to have a 2015 U.S. release date.