Yesterday, the long-awaited announcement was posted to Facebook at 4:30 p.m. I'll repost it here:
(quote) "Josh Boone's Mid-World Productions has optioned both The Red Tree and The Drowning Girl to develop into feature films. I'm writing the screenplay for The Red Tree. Josh will be writing The Drowning Girl. Judy Cairo will be producing. Josh is known for The Fault In Our Stars and is currently directing Stephen King's The Stand (in pre-production) and the reboot of Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicles.
Hurrah. An official press release will follow soon. I've been sitting on this since November." (end quote)
November 12th, to be precise. Contract negotiations took more than eight months.
Later in the evening, I posted:
"A few people have asked questions about the films and preserving the queerness of the novels. This is something you do not have to worry about. Also, though no details can be released yet and nothing is certain, the hope is that we can cast a transgender actress as Abalyn Armitage."
And, really, that's currently all I'm at liberty to say. Pretty much. I was fairly amused that of all the guesses people made as to what the "secret" was, virtually no one guessed that it involved my own work being adapted into film. Mostly, people seemed to think I was being hired to write for television, adapting someone else's work. as of right now, the announcement has garnered 512 likes and 133 comments.
So, there you go!
Yesterday, I mentioned the list I posted here June 27th, the "what I need to do before the summer's over" list. This morning, I pruned it. As much as I was able, because really, I have far, far too much work, and something has to go. Here's the updated version, in late July (call this now through the end of September):
1. The screenplay for The Red Tree
2. Stories or vignettes for Sirenia Digest #114 and #115
3. Editing/proofreading Houses Under the Sea: Mythos Tales (Centipede Press, 2016)
4. The juvenilia volume, (Subterranean Press, 2016), title TBA.
5. Line edits left to do on Beneath an Oil-Dark Sea: The Best of Caitlín R. Kiernan (Vol. 2) (Subterranean Press, November 2015)
6. 25k-word novella for Houses Under the Sea: Mythos Tales (Centipede Press, 2016), to be written in July, Agents of Dreamland
7. Proposal package for Interstate Love Song (next novel)
8. An introduction for Brian Evenson's The Open Curtain
It's a little bit shorter, eight items instead of eleven. The way things look right now, I'm going to finish the second section of Agents of Dreamland today, the set it aside while I write stories for Sirenia Digest Nos. 114 and 115. Then I'll finish Agents of Dreamland during the first half of August. Then I work on the screenplay until it's finished, with as little distraction as possible, and I hope it will be done before the end of September. all the editing and proofreading and stuff, that will go on in between the actual writing – somehow.
So...the days are just full.