And now it's time to begin "Alabaster" (the short story for Subterranean Press, as opposed to the original Camelot Books "chapette" or the unfinished screenplay). And then it will be time to prepare for the long trip to Providence and New York and Massachusetts, and then, then it will be time to begin Daughter of Hounds. I can see the future, even without my glasses.
No hounds to guide me, no army at my back...
For me, that song will always be wedded to the first night that Spooky and drank absinthe in this apartment. Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula was playing on the iBook, with the sound off, and this song was playing on the other iBook, and it all sort of stuck together. I was very drunk, and the Green Fairy was beginning to do things with the candlelight. Sorry. The mind wanders.
Okay. Something not quite momentous, but something that I've never done before. I shall willingly play host to a meme ('cause William Burroughs was an okay dude). I picked this thing up from billetdoux's LJ (he's an old bud of Spooky's) and figured it was a good way to squander a little piece of Sunday. Here goes:
1. Who did you last get angry with? Spooky.
2. What is your weapon of choice? Words.
3. Would you hit a member of the opposite sex? If he had it coming, or asked nicely.
4. How about of the same sex? If she had it coming, or asked nicely.
5. Who was the last person who got really angry at you? Spooky.
6. What is your pet peeve? Stupidity.
7. Do you keep grudges, or can you let them go easily? Forever do I keep them.
1. What is one thing you're supposed to do daily that you haven't done in a long time? Exercise.
2. What is the latest you've ever woken up? Sometime after sunset.
3. Name a person you've been meaning to contact, but haven't. Jed Cage, a first cousin.
4. What is the last lame excuse you made? I couldn't attend Poppy's signing because crowded bookstores freak me out (true, but still lame).
5. Have you ever watched an infomercial all the way through (one of the long ones...)? Yep.
6. When was the last time you got a good workout in? The last time I was in the field (paleo' work), sometime in the spring of 2002.
7. How many times did you hit the snooze button on your alarm clock today? I do not have an alarm clock.
1. What is your overpriced yuppie beverage of choice? Does Sobe Adrenaline count as "yuppie"? How about a caramel mocha?
2. Meat eaters: white meat or dark meat? dark (Iike my soul)
3. What is the greatest amount of alcohol you've had in one sitting/outing/event? Er. Ummm. Do numbers go that high?
4. Have you ever used a professional diet company? Nope.
5. Do you have an issue with your weight? Nope. But it sure has some issues with me.
6. Do you prefer sweets, salty foods, or spicy foods? Spicy.
7. Have you ever looked at a small house pet or child and thought, "LUNCH!"? Hasn't everyone?
1. How many people have you seen naked (not counting movies/family)? Wait. This is a trick question, isn't it?
2. How many people have seen YOU naked? Not counting family...frell...I have no idea. After that photo on the back of The Five of Cups, a lot more than before.
3. Have you ever caught yourself staring at the chest/crotch of a member of your gender of choice during a normal conversation? Oh, hell yeah.
4. Have you "done it"? Done what?
5. What is your favorite body part on a person of your gender of choice? Nipples.
6. Have you ever been propositioned by a prostitute? Yep.
7. Have you ever had to get tested for an STD or pregnancy? Yep.
1. How many credit cards do you own? Three.
2. What's your guilty pleasure store? Toys-R-Us.
3. If you had $1 million, what would you do with it? Buy a house, make a large donation to the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology, and take a trip to France. Wait. I need at least three million...
4. Would you rather be rich, or famous? Rich.
5. Would you accept a boring job if it meant you would make megabucks? Yep.
6. Have you ever stolen anything? You bet.
7. How many MP3s are on your hard drive? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop?
1. What one thing have you done that you're most proud of? It's a tie: a) publication of my mosasaur biostratigraphy study, and b) getting my shit together.
2. What one thing have you done that your parents are most proud of? Support myself with my writing.
3. What thing would you like to accomplish in your life? Immortality.
4. Do you get annoyed by coming in second place? I get violent about coming in second place.
5. Have you ever entered a contest of skill, knowing you were of much higher skill than all the other competitors? Yep.
6. Have you ever cheated on something to get a higher score? Yep.
7. What did you do today that you're proud of? It's only twelve-frelling-thirty-one in the afternoon! Hmmmm. I haven't yelled at anyone yet. Does that count?
1. What item (or person) of your friend's would you most want to have for your own? Neil's fame.
2. Who would you want to go on "Trading Spaces"? What the frell does this have to do with envy?
3. If you could be anyone else in the world, who would you be? Milla Jovovich
4. Have you ever been cheated on? Does a satyr shit in the woods?
5. Have you ever wished you had a physical feature different from your own? Oh, yeah.
6. What inborn trait do you see in others that you wish you had for yourself? Tie: greater intelligence/physical beauty
7. Do you wish you'd come up with this survey? No.
8. Finally, what is your favorite deadly sin? Lust. Definitely lust.
Well, that was pointless.
I halfway hope to make it to A Midsummer Night's Dream in Piedmont Park this evening, but things I halfway hope for hardly ever happen...